There’s nothing quite as exciting as traveling abroad—whether to a bustling and snazzy metropolis like Melbourne or London, or to a dream tropical destination like Hawaii and Fiji. Traveling overseas often brings thrill, surprises and lots of memorable experiences, which is why many people today are packing their bags to see more of the world.
But before you get set and ready for a unique adventure overseas, there are some things and tips you need to pack and bear in mind first to avoid the unnecessary hassle, drama and injury before or during your trip.
Planning Your Overseas Adventure
Seasoned travelers know that behind the cool and carefree vacation photos are weeks and months of preparation for a trip, which requires a lot of patience, organization and creativity. So if you are fairly new to overseas travel, then you should be aware that proper planning shouldn’t be ignored. Here are some important tips that can help you along:
- Do your research.There are literally thousands of travel blogs and websites you can access to help you gain an insight on the destination you have in mind. But aside from searching for the hottest tourist spots in town, you should also have a good understanding of the laws, customs and traditions of the place you’re visiting. This is important because the last thing you want to experience abroad is to get fined, jailed, or get yourself into some serious trouble because of your ignorance of their laws.
- Book accommodations in advance.If you want to get the best deals and rates on hotel accommodations, it’s advisable to have them booked in advance, typically a month or two before your travel date. This not only saves you money, but also gives you more time to prepare the other aspects of your vacation.
- Check airline policies. If you want a smooth and hassle-free entry to your destination country, you should be aware of the things that you can and can’t bring along with you. Also learn about extra baggage fees. The higher the extra baggage fees, the more important it is for you to pack light.
- Obtain essential entry requirements. Your trip abroad isn’t guaranteed unless you have obtained all the entry requirements, such as a passport, visa and vaccination certificates. This may vary from country to country, though, so make sure you stay up-to-date with their requirements.
- Secure travel insurance.The importance of securing the best travel insurance plan can’t be ignored. However, it’s a fact that a lot of people hold the misconception that travel insurance is for Westerners only. But the truth is, nations from Asia and elsewhere are encouraged and required to get one. In Singapore, for example, citizens or permanent residents who are planning to go overseas are advised to obtain travel insurance from reputable travel insurance providers in Singapore before leaving. Purchasing a full travel insurance that covers illnesses, injuries, loss of baggage, documents and other belongings not only saves one money but also gives travelers peace of mind while on the road.
When it’s Time to Fly
Once you’ve made the necessary arrangements, then it’s time to hit the airport and finally live out your adventure. Here are some things you need to know and do when you reach your destination:
- Keep an eye on your kids.It’s easy to get lost, literally, in the excitement that international travel offers. So to avoid any unfortunate incident involving your kids, make sure you keep an eye on them and equip them with an ID that contains your contact information.
- Dress comfortably.Dressing comfortably and accordingly is something that you need to keep in mind, especially if you’re going to a chilly, winter trip in Russia or a hot, tropical vacation in Indonesia.
- Take public transportation.If you want to learn about a country and get to know the locals best, taking public transportation is the best way to do it. Just make sure to learn the train and bus schedules in advance if you don’t want to miss any important appointment or have a strict itinerary to follow.
They say travel is the best gift you can give yourself. (tweet that) True, indeed. But in order to get the most out of this gift, you will need to take a few precautions and apply smart and safe tips, like the ones we’ve shared above.
P.S If you want to travel like a celebrity, publish a book that will get you that first class ticket. Click here to learn how to write that travel book.